business video marketing
Why chasing viral videos is not the one.
Relying on viral videos is not a sustainable strategy. Instead learn some alternative tactics for a successful video marketing approach.
February 14, 2023
In the era of social media and short-form content, it's easy to become obsessed with creating a viral video that will generate millions of views, likes, and shares.
However, the reality is that chasing a viral video is not a sustainable or effective strategy for building a successful brand or business.
Here are some reasons why chasing a viral video is not going to help you, and what you can do instead to create more sustainable success.
- Viral videos are unpredictable: The very nature of a viral video is that it spreads quickly and unpredictably. While this can be exciting and generate a lot of buzz, it also means that there's no guarantee that your video will go viral. In fact, many viral videos happen by chance, and trying to replicate their success can be a fruitless effort.
- Viral videos don't always lead to long-term success: Even if you do manage to create a viral video, there's no guarantee that it will translate into long-term success for your brand or business. Viral videos are often one-off events that generate a lot of attention in the moment, but don't necessarily lead to sustained growth or profitability. In fact, many viral videos can actually have a negative impact on a brand if they're not aligned with the brand's values or messaging.
- Viral videos can be damaging to your brand: The pressure to create a viral video can also lead to brands taking risks or pushing boundaries in ways that can damage their reputation. A viral video that's controversial or offensive can create a backlash that's difficult to recover from. Moreover, chasing a viral video can distract from the more important task of building a strong, consistent brand that resonates with your target audience.
So, what should you do instead of chasing a viral video? Here are some tips for creating a more sustainable and effective video marketing strategy:
- Focus on quality over quantity: Rather than trying to churn out as much content as possible in the hopes of creating a viral hit, focus on creating high-quality content that aligns with your brand's values and messaging. This will help you build a loyal audience that trusts and values your brand.
- Create content that resonates with your target audience: Rather than trying to appeal to everyone, focus on creating content that resonates with your specific target audience. This will help you build a dedicated following of people who are more likely to become customers or advocates for your brand.
- Be consistent: Building a strong, consistent brand is often more effective than trying to go viral with a single piece of content. By creating a consistent video marketing strategy, you can build brand recognition, establish trust with your audience, and create more sustained growth over time.
- Measure success in more than just views: While views and engagement are important metrics for measuring the success of your video content, they're not the only metrics that matter. Be sure to also measure metrics such as lead generation, sales, and customer retention to get a more comprehensive picture of how your video content is impacting your business.
In conclusion, while the allure of a viral video can be tempting, chasing a viral hit is not a sustainable or effective strategy for building a successful brand or business. Instead, focus on creating high-quality, targeted content that aligns with your brand's values and messaging. By doing so, you'll be more likely to create a loyal audience of customers and advocates who will support your brand over the long term.